Friday 22 February 2008

Extreme makeover

I haven't had one, I was just watching it and it pissed me off and I had no one to tell that it pissed me off, so I decided to vent my anger through the medium of blog.

This mother and daughter who were both pretty ugly got given the works - brow lift, nose job, lipo, rhino, teeth straightening, breast augmentation and in the case of the daughter lessons on how not to walk like a hippo. At the end of it there were loads of tears and both were clearly far happier than they had been and I couldn't help but think what a couple of lazy wasters. I, irrationally perhaps, hated them for being so happy for each other, which seemed to imply they didn't really like to look at each other before. The daughter's husband (a big heffer) was there for the reveal crying his eyes out like he'd finally got the wife he always wanted and I enjoyed the moment because it was obvious that they would be divorced within six months and she'd be sharing the new beautiful body with someone far more attractive and more manly at which point he'll have a reason to cry. Fucking americans.

So apart from wasting my time in front of the TV I've been down to Wellington for a few days last week. The event is known as Webstock, but you can call it geek-fest. It's two long days of seminars on all sorts of web related fun. There was certainly some big names and good talks - the standout being a tech guy from Google talking about how, if you do something on a big enough scale, you can get away with a massive lack of accuracy as the two cancel each other out. But no one seemed to want to talk about anything practical, some people even ventured into philosophy while others just made no sense at all and at 4pm on the thursday afternoon I had to walk out when a woman from Goto Media decided she could help everyone in the room get unstuck by showing two slides - one of a squiggly line (stuck) and one of a straight line (unstuck). But in amongst the more abstract modal jazz and newton's apple references there were some gems of information being tossed about and for those it was almost worth it.

I also got to experience Wellington weather and am no longer so keen to move there. It rained a lot, the wind blew a lot and it is a lot colder that Auckland. Or was...today Auckland is blowing a tropical storm past my fifth story apartment and I'm worried the building hasn't been designed for these conditions.

I'm not sure if it's standard practice to use pseudonyms on blogs when talking about people who might get upset. I haven't up to now, but I'm a blog novice - I could be doing it all wrong. So I was sharing a room with a work colleague of mine - let's call him Marshall - and being a younger guy he maximised his time by partying until the early hours of the morning every night. It depressed me. I am not so young and value my sleep too much to be able to keep up and will have to come to terms with the fact that in six months I will officially be middle aged... like a castle. Marshall is a fag and as such requires a ready supply of TRESemmé maximum hold hair spray and cock. And I think it was the latter that led to him rocking in at 4.30am the night before we had to get a plane at 10am. For some as yet unexplained reason he spent the night giggling to himself before we eventually got out of our hotel at 9.35. But this being NZ, where security is something other people have to worry about, we still made the plane on time.

So back to reality and I've spent the weekend working away on nothing too exciting. The shift process is glaringly innefficient and frustrating at the coal-face. I need to get it changed. But I probably won't succeed.

I saw a clasic NZ movie the other day called Sleeping Dogs. It's a hard hitting docu-fiction on fascism in New Zealand in the early seventies. If you haven't seen it I recommend leaving it that way unless you are a big fan of Sam Neill - I think it's his first acting role. I suppose, looking at it in context this was how New Zealanders saw things kicking off over the oil crisis and just after the cuba missile thing. So it's understandable that there was a fear of guerilla action and government crackdowns and curfews however ridiculous this seems today. But if only they'd had a few more dollars to spend on props and actors.

And that pretty much brings you up to date. I'm feeling melancholy today. Restless. The weather being so bad I am stuck indoors. I want to play cricket or do something that takes my mind off thinking about what ifs but I won't. I'll wallow in it for the afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

Robster said...

Are you in this picture?

http://web2.0japan.com/blog/enclosures/IMG_2643_4.jpg